Thursday, August 5, 2010

We're off to Alaska!

I'm busy packing into the wee hours of the morning for our flight to Anchorage, flying out of Vancouver at 9:00 am tomorrow morning.  Rebecca is staying with her aunt, Naomi is away to camp, and so it's just Hilary and I, together for the next ten days.  What a great way to embark on our 18th anniversary, celebrated less than two weeks ago! Neither of us have been to Alaska,  but we've heard Denali National Park, home of North America's highest peak, Mount McKinley, is spectacular. We're packing hiking boots and serious rain gear with us, though, as the forecast is not terribly promising.  After four days in a lodge touring the Denali, we're taking a Holland Lines cruise ship, the Ryndam, down the coast to Vancouver.  That's a first for us, too.  And, it will definitely be different from my cycling trip to Banff last June.  I've heard that the best thing to do on a cruise ship is to 'check your brain at the door' (and my bike, too)... then relax and have fun.  I guess I can live with that.

So here's my first entry to our upcoming summer holiday. Look for photos, stories, and goodness knows what else.  In the meantime, I've got to finish packing, head off to bed and pray I don't sleep through the alarm clock!  More, later....

- Stan

No comments: