Saturday, July 19, 2008

Israel: Tour Day 12 - Shabbat in Jerusalem

It is hard to imagine that this is our last day on the tour. We went to the Shabbat service at the Fuchsberg Institute, followed by a lovely kiddish in the basement.

The rest of the day was exactly that, a day of rest. I took no photos today - photography is frowned upon in Jerusalem on Shabbat. So, we soaked in the sun by the pool on the roof of the Dan Panorama. Feeling much better now, I worked out in the gym to celebrate. I do hope that "working out" is considered a restful activity on Shabbat, but I don't dare ask the Rabbi if that's the case!

That evening, we celebrated Havdallah, the end of Shabbat, in the hotel. As the flame was extinguished, it took me back to what seemed a lifetime ago, when we were in the kibbutz at Hagoshrim, celebrating Havdallah last week under the trees. What a week it has been. We left the hotel together, to share a final dinner at "Little Italy", a lovely little restaurant about a block away. Then, inevitably, we had our sad partings, as most of the group will be leaving Jerusalem at midnight, or in the early morning.

The tour was for many of us a revelation. I don't think many of us can adequately summarize what the tour to Israel has meant to us, spiritually, emotionally and intellectually. That will take time. I can say now, that it was profound, at many levels. I am so glad we made the trip.

The formal tour is now over. However, our family has an extra day in Jerusalem. We each have some ideas on how to use it. It's our last opportunity, at least for this trip, to take in the richness this holy city has to offer. I am looking forward to it.

No comments: