Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Israel: We're in Tel Aviv!

I'm afraid Internet access has been rather poor, so my apologies in not sending out a message earlier. We had a wonderful week in Britain. We viewed many of the well-known sights in London. The London Eye is a fantastic Ferris-wheel that towers over the Thames, taking passengers in a wide arc that lasts about thirty minutes. Lots of time for photos. Other sights included shopping in Harrods (definitely too expensive for us - I've never seen a cell phone that cost $60,000 before!), and Camden Market (beautifully within our budget - a quaint market set in an old industrial area of London).

But the best part of the trip, I believe, was a train trip from London to Crewe, where we were met by friends Brian and Claire Haylock and their two children, Owen and Laura. An hour and a half drive from the station took us up into towns bordering the beautiful countryside of Wales. After dinner, and before sunset, they took us on a hike to the top of a hill overlooking the villiage, where the ruins of an castle dating to the 12th century could be seen. We saw the sunset from among the ancient pillars. I look forward to posting photos here, when we get the chance.

The next day, we explored Chester, an ancient town that was originally settled by the Romans at the time of Christ. They built a stone wall about the city in 100 AD, elements of which can be seen, together with ruins of a dwelling where they lived, now set inside a quaint English town, with medieval buildings and cobblestone streets.

We returned to London for another day of sight-seeing before our departure for Israel. Unfortunately, by that time, I had managed to come down with a bad head cold. So far, everyone else has avoided it. However, we made the best of things... the girls went to see a live production of the Lion King, while I, handkerchief in hand, roamed the British Museum. Thankfully, by the time the plane left, I was feeling much better.

So, now we're in Tel Aviv! Our tour 'officially' started today with a walk-about through some of the turn-of the century buildings in Tel Aviv, a coastal city. The marketplace here reminded me of Granville Island, but more authentic, more ancient, and about twenty times the size. Tomorrow, we will be exploring the much older town of Jaffa, nearby. The air is warm and humid, but quite tolerable. Will look forward to writing more, as we can. Cheers, - Stan

4 comments:

wendy said...

Despite your cold it sounds like you had a fab time in London. I'm sorry I didn't do the London Eye when I was there two years ago. Oh well, something to do on my next trip, amongst so many others in that wonderful City.

Wales sounds charming and I'm sure you had a wonderful time with Clair, Brian and their kids.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures in Israel.

Love,

Wendy

Jerome Marburg said...

Sorry to hear about your cold, San. Sounds like you are on the road to recovery and that you all had a good time in the UK. Am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

As Wendy has mentioned, we are having a rather nice patch of weather and are finally getting a chance to enjoy the patio and garden. That said, Sam started a power skating/hockey skills camp yesterday (Tuesday). The camp is for kids between 5 and 8 years old. It was interesting to see him in amongst the bigger kids. Some but certainly not all were better and faster than him, which made him work that much harder to keep up. By the end of the hour, he was one very hot and sweaty bunny!! He says hi to everyone and sends his love.

Lots of love to all.

Jerome

Unknown said...

Sounds as though you are having a wonderful time! Love to you all, D&G

wendy said...

Hello All,

I hope you are having a wonderful time. We haven't heard from you so I suppose access to internet is difficult.

I am off on my wee holiday tomorrow and you will be home already by the time I return. I'm off to the very exciting Edmonton to see Sharon and have a bit of a party. I return home for a day and then leave with Myrna for a little road trip down the Oregon coast, staying in Cannon Beach and then Portland, and somewhere yet to be determined on the way back.

I'll speak to you when I get home.

Have a wonderful rest of your holiday and a safe journey home.

Love,

Wendy